My Bonneville Journey
My journey to Bonneville started after I bought my first sportbike in 2005.
I was planning to go to the 2005 USFRA World of Speed, but shortly before the
event, it was canceled due to the course being underwater :(
September 3, 2006. First year at Bonneville
and the Bub Speed
Trials, 2005 R6 with only minor mods (Power Commander III,
K&N Air Filter) running on pump gas, though last run with ERC fuel. Best run was 149MPH, the speedometer read 164.
September 2, 2007 again at Bub.
New bike (2006 GSX-R 1000) but pretty much stock running on pump gas.
156MPH, only 7 MPH faster then my R6...
a little disapointed since the bike should do 185+ MPH (though that is with a
skilled smaller rider on asphalt), but I blame it on poor salt conditions... oh, and the
lack of skill. I'll do better
next year ;)
September 2, 2008 bike with a few minor mods running on pump gas.
163MPH (though speedo read 181MPH), again 7MPH faster then last year.
New Mods for 2008
- K&N Air Filter
- Power Commander III
- Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windshield
- Graves Smog Block Off Plates
- Iridium Spark Plugs
- PAIR system removed
- Synthetic Respol Oil
Missed 2009 and 2010 :( Getting ready for 2011!
Plans for next time
- Go through the traps near redline (Stock sprocket ~172 MPH)
- Speedo Healer
- Disable/Remove SET valve
- Metal Chain Guard (Paint black)
- X-TRE (I want my gear indicator back)
- Rear Socket to AFAM 41 tooth (should allow 176 MPH)
- or Rear Socket to Vortex 40 tooth (should allow 181 MPH)
- Yoshimura Tri-Oval Slip-On Titanium (high or low)
- Dyno Tune
- Yoyodyne frame slider and tie down conversion kit
- Maybe Dry Nitrous (MPS Spyder kit)
- Maybe Factory Pro Velocity Stacks
- Maybe lower bike (front strap, rear with links)
Plans for After 175 MPH
- Saftey wire for FIF or AMA standards
- Kill Switch Teather
- Goal 175MPH to Qualify for the long course
- Goal 200 MPH (Then I will retire :) )
- Nitrous (maybe start with Dry and then Wet later on)
- Rotary Steering Stabilizer
- Race Bodywork (Loose headlight, etc.)
- Motor Build Up
- Velocity Stacks
- Forced Induction (most likely Velocity Turbo Kit)
- Ceramic wheel bearings?
- Maybe Drag Seat
- SCTA legal leathers (so I can go to El Mirage and Speed Week)
- Enclosed trailer
Gearing info from gearingcommander.com
Back to Main Page